Home Sharing is a living arrangement in which two or more unrelated people share a home or apartment. Each has his/her private room and shares the common living areas.
Two Types of Home Sharing
- In a rent exchange, a home provider is matched with a home seeker who pays rent.
- A service exchange, a home provider is matched with a home seeker who exchanges services in lieu of or for reduced rent.
Why Home Share?
- Saves Money
- Shares utility costs
- Reduces financial worry
- Provides mutual assistance
- Increased security and independence
Who Home Shares?
People who home share come from all walks of life…seniors, working persons, students, persons with disabilities, families, veterans, emancipated foster youth and others.
How It Works?
To arrange for an interview in one of HIP Housing’s four offices, call our main office at (650)348-6660.
We will make an appointment with one of our housing coordinators to take your application. You will need to bring photo identification, the names and phone numbers of three people who will act as a reference for you, and some written verification of your income used for statistical purposes and kept confidential.
Home Sharing Services Include:
- Interviewing and screening applicants
- Personal Housing Coordinator
- Home visits to seniors and home-bound individuals
- Bilingual services
- Facilitation of Living Together Agreements
- Follow-up support and linkages to other community resources
To participate in the Home Sharing Program
HIP Housing’s Home Sharing Program would like to hear from you. To receive a call to answer questions and/or schedule an appointment, please complete the inquiry form by clicking on the Inquiry Form button and we will contact you as soon as it is processed or feel free to call us at 650.348.6660.
Selina was looking for an affordable place to live so she could continue her schooling. Cornelia was renting out a room to reduce housing expenses but also wanted to help out a young person with their dreams.