Home Sharing is a living arrangement among two or more unrelated people. Home owners or renters (Home Providers) who have a residence with one or more bedrooms are matched with persons seeking housing (Home Seekers)
Two Types of Home Sharing
- In a rent exchange, a home provider is matched with a home seeker who pays rent.
- A service exchange, a home provider is matched with a home seeker who exchanges services in lieu of or for reduced rent.
Why Home Share?
- Saves Money
- Shares utility costs
- Reduces financial worry
- Provides mutual assistance
- Increased security and independence
Who Home Shares?
Home Providers must live in San Mateo County. Home Seekers must live, work or attend school in San Mateo County or have a housing voucher for San Mateo County.
People who home share come from all walks of life… seniors, working persons, students, persons with disabilities, families, veterans, emancipated foster youth and others.
How It Works?
To arrange for an interview in one of HIP Housing’s four offices, call our main office at (650) 348-6660.
We will schedule an appointment with one of our housing coordinators. You will need to bring:
- Photo identification
- The names and phone numbers of three references
- Written income verification (used for statistical purposes and kept confidential)
To participate in the Home Sharing Program
HIP Housing’s Home Sharing Program would like to hear from you. If you have questions or would like to make an appointment, click on the inquiry form button below and complete the form or call us at (650) 348-6660.
Mirela has been a Home Sharing Provider for 15 years. As a single mom, renting out a room in her home was the perfect solution to help supplement her income. HIP Housing’s personal Counselors and detailed screening process gave Mirela the extra sense of security to open up her home.
Now that Diane and Frank’s kids have all gone to college, they wanted to rent out the extra room in their home to help with living expenses.